Guest Post: Torben Lonne is the Editor in Chief at DIVE.in
When you’re snorkeling through beautiful waters admiring the mesmerizing marine life below you, the last thing you want to do is interrupt your enjoyment by fiddling with your mask. So how do you prevent this from happening? You make sure that you get the best possible mask for snorkeling. Here are a few tips on how to choose the best mask for snorkeling:
A snorkeling mask must fit properly.
Look for a mask that has a watertight seal on your face. This is the best way to avoid leaking, fogging and even fatigue. When trying on a mask: hold your breath, place the mask in position (without using the strap), then press very slightly whilst inhaling a little. When you let go, a properly fitting mask will stay in place. Repeat the process with a snorkel attached, just to make sure.
Only consider other features once you know which masks fit you properly.
You will more than likely find a few masks that fit you properly. Now, to choose between them… There are several factors that you might like to consider.
- A wide skirt (the rubber/silicon-like portion that sits on your skin) will generally provide a better seal.
- A silicone skirt will last much longer than a rubber equivalent.
- Peripheral visibility is important so try on the mask and look from left to right without moving your head to check that the mask doesn’t give you tunnel vision.
- Choose a mask with Tempered glass.
- Low volume masks are preferable as you won’t have to constantly exhale from your nose to equalize the pressure, so you keep more air in your lungs and your mask fogs less.
Follow these tips and you’ll be able to enjoy comfortable snorkeling without the hassles of a badly fitting mask. You can also find more snorkel equipment tips here.