Do I Need a Jeep?
If you are staying on St. John – a jeep is essential. Sure, you could take a taxi around. You could also stay near you hotel and walk everywhere if you are in Cruz Bay. But that’s not fun! Being able to jet around in your jeep is an adventure in itself. And the ability to go wherever you wish as you please is priceless.
And yes – you do need a jeep or 4 wheel drive SUV. A regular car will struggle with some of the hills when they are wet, and can ruin the underneath of the car when going over potholes.
Which St. John Jeep Rental Companies are the Best?
Amalie Car Rental
Note: This rental company is located in St. Thomas. You will pick up your jeep in St. Thomas, and drive it to the car ferry to bring it to St. John. Some visitors prefer this to avoid the taxis at the airport.
Phone Number: 340-774-0688
Email: [email protected]
Location: St. Thomas. They will have your car waiting at the airport.
Jeep Rental Tips
- Take pictures and/or a video of the entire vehicle before entering you enter it. Make sure to note any existing bumps, scrapes, etc. so you do not get charged when you return it!
- If available, purchase the extra insurance on your rental. It is only a few more bucks a day, and could potentially save a vacation disaster.
- Book your jeep as early as possible. Jeep rentals are in hot demand and book up fast – so make sure you book your jeep shortly after booking your hotel.
- Don’t leave any valuables in your jeep and if possible, don’t leave anything in your jeep. Car theft, although rare, do happen. Protect yourself!
The Guide includes:
- 60+ pages of St. John tips, tricks, and secrets
- The best snorkeling and hiking locations on St. John
- Lists of the top restaurants, resorts, and activities
- St. John secrets straight from the locals